COVID-19, a type of infectious disease caused by a newly emerging virus known as Coronavirus. Self-Quarantine or self-isolation may result in halting the spread of Coronavirus.
Mass Quarantine: A possible interim solution to prevent the spread of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in human beings.
Coronavirus, a group of viruses responsible for causing different types of illness in humans as well as animals. These illnesses can vary from common cold to severe acute respiratory syndrome or Middle East respiratory syndrome.
Symptoms observed in the coronavirus patients are similar to that of pneumonia. However, the number of reported cases around the world is on a higher side. Some common symptoms of COVID-19 include fever, dry cough, and sore throat. People affected by the outbreak of COVID-19 may also feel difficulty in breathing. The risk level in the case of older people suffering from medical illnesses such as diabetes, high blood pressure, etc. is more prone to develop COVID-19 symptoms.
People depicting COVID-19 symptoms may spread the infection by releasing small droplets of infected fluid during coughing or sneezing. The non-infected person may get the disease when they come in contact with COVID-19 infected person or touch a surface that had been contaminated.
Self-Quarantine: Major precautionary measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19
It has been rightly said, “God helps those who help themselves.” To prevent the spread of Coronavirus, one should self-quarantine if he or she is displaying symptoms. Quarantine is a necessity for 2-14 days so that the suspected person has enough time to know whether illness would strike him. Some people may also be asked to self-quarantine themselves if they have traveled to some part of the world in which coronavirus infection is rising rapidly.
Meaning of Self Quarantine:
- Staying at home.
- Practicing proper hygienic measures and frequent washing of hands
- Avoid using public transportation and sharing rides on the cabs.
- Saying no to visitors.
- Must stay at least 6 feet away from the other people living in the house.
Safety Preventive Measures:
- Staying at home when sick.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water. Alcohol-based sanitizer may also be used to disinfect your hands.
- Avoid touching your face, eyes, and mouth frequently.
- As per the guidelines for the Centre for Disease Control (CDC), only the infected people should wear the mask for the containment of the virus.
- People having cough, difficulty in breathing and fever should take proper medical attention.
- Disinfect the commonly touched surfaces and objects of the household using cleaning spray or wipes.
- Maintaining a health distance (approximately 6 feet) between the infected person and yourself.
Moral of the story:
As always said, “Prevention is better than cure.” Making your immune system stronger can help you to prevent not only from COVID-19 but from a plethora of other diseases. Several factors govern the immunity of an individual. These factors include diet, different types of medical conditions, and, last but not least, genes. Explore your genes and decode the gene that gives a boost to your immune system. Genes2Me provides complete solutions not only under routine pathology testing but also in Advanced Molecular Diagnostics. Our personalized DNA genetic testing panel has different genetic test products such as Genes2Fit, Genes2Health, and Med4Me, which provides a customized approach towards fitness, health, and medicine to make you resistant to various infections and diseases. Click on the link to know more.
Stay Safe. Stay at home.